[T3] Items to keep on hand in a 72 FI Squareback

Tony Rongey trongey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 12 08:55:52 PST 2013

- 10mm & 13mm combination wrenches + a small set of sockets & ratchet
- screwdrivers
- pliers
- the little U-shaped hub cap puller
- OEM lug/sparkplug tool
- long extension bar for the ratchet (very handy lever for pulling hubcaps with the U-shaped puller; also works well with the OEM lug tool)
- 4-way lug wrench
- scissor jack
- folding wheel chocks
- jack stand; I never reach under a car that's on a jack
- Yes, I have an extinguisher.
- quart of ATF (if applicable)
- long-nosed funnel to reach the AT filler
- a combination wrench that fits the generator pulley
- mechanic's gloves
- rags
- scissors
- a 12" piece of 2x4; there are just so many times that it comes in handy
- fix-a-flat
- cheap rain poncho

Things Under the Back Seat:
- spare distributor cap (just because I happen to have one and it's small)
- spare voltage regulator (ever since the day the points welded shut on mine and I happened to have one for another project in the car)
- bits of wire and miscellaneous connectors (including the tiny ones that fit the FI), wire crimper
- jumper wires with alligator clips

I've used every item in this list except the fire extinquisher at least once.

I know a lot of VW drivers also carry a spare throttle cable.

Tony
'70 AT/FI Fastback daily driver