[T3] Installing right side mirror

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 17 07:55:18 PST 2013

On 17 Dec 2013 at 6:45, SAW DUST wrote:

> > If you can find such a door that's the same color as yours, stop
> > right there and swap the whole door, changing only the internal panel
> > if necessary. This is, BY FAR, your best option. What year and color
> > is your car?
>
> 67 Notch , VW paint name "sea sand". But to be real I could use any
> color door. The car is in need of new paint anyway. I've got holes to
> patch or replace a couple of the fenders also.

I don't remember if '67s have the outer lock cylinder in the handle,
like the later cars, or below, like the earlier ones. If it's like
the later cars, a good used door should be easy to find. I've got a
couple. Early style doors will be harder.

> That's another question. Realistically is it more cost effective to
> repair holes or just find a good used fender??

Good front fenders are often hard to find, but good rears tend to be
rather common. If the hole is large, I'd look around for a decent
replacement. I hear about boneyards in AZ that have lots of these
parts, but I've never tried to find them. I HAVE bought parts from a
fellow in Tucson when we're there visiting our daughter each fall.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org