[T3] Tight exhaust valves

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 09:10:30 PST 2013

Keith,

Great question.  I am not measuring my head temps with any sensor, if that
is what you mean.  I'm running a stock setup.  Is it advised to measure the
head temp nowadays and is this an easy install?  If so, maybe I'll post a
new thread down the line for help in that regards.

I could tell my car was running hotter for two primary reasons: (1) the
heat in my car was very good during this time (forcing me to dial down the
heat and/or open the windows) and (2) after a drive I could tell more fuel
was being evaporated from my fuel line than normal--meaning extra cranks to
start and/or extra time on the fuel pump button (Jim's kit) to pump out the
air.

I rebuilt this engine back in 1997 and at that time used heads from
MoFoCo.  They are not the correct heads for my year (no crankcase vent) but
they do have the FI sensor port. I have a set of proper Type 3 heads for my
year (with the vents) that I'd like to get refurbished for future use.

As far as the tight exhaust valves, the searching of forums makes me think
either (a) my valve seats are sinking into my head or (b) my valves are
stretching.  Neither one of these sounds very good and I'm hoping there
could be a more benign cause or that either (a) or (b) (to a small extent)
is not necessarily catastrophic or simply part of engine break-in  (I maybe
have 10,000 miles on this since the last rebuild).

Jacob