[T3] Tight exhaust valves

Don Robertson donrob at yachtsales.com
Thu Dec 26 09:30:07 PST 2013

When you checked the valve clearance, are you certain the engine was
fully cooled down (cold)?

> > My car ('72 FI Squareback) had been running noticeably hotter lately and
> > started leaking a little oil from the valve cover gaskets (probably due to
> > excessive heat), so I decided to check my valves while I was replacing the
> > valve cover gasket.  It had been ~ 1500 miles since the last time I
> > checked/adjusted my valves.  Each of my intake valves was still .006, but
> > each of the exhaust valves (on all 4) were tight.  Tight as in practically
> > no clearance.
> >
> > The fact that there was no clearance on any of my exhaust valves was a bit
> > concerning to me.  I was able to adjust them all to get .006 again, but I'm
> > still a bit spooked out.  What could have caused these to get so out of
> > whack in such a short time and does this indicate a more severe problem?
> >
> > Is there anything else I can do to further diagnose this issue or should I
> > just keep driving it and see what happens?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jacob

Don Robertson - (905) 566-0000
3641 Wolfedale Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L5C 1V8
Skype: marinemarketplace
Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.
- Frederic Bastiat, French Economist (1801-1850)

Webmaster:
peoplepost.net - marinesurveyor.com - yachtsales.com
Click Here http://www.marinesurveyor.com/websites.html for a list of
over 100 Marine Surveyor Clients.

Listmaster
http://www.marinesurveyor.com/boatpokers/ - Boatpokers - A private
email forum for SAMS members
http://www.surveyorexchange.com/ - The Marine Exchange - The Marine
Technical Email Forum
For Professionals Employed in Marine Industries.