[T3] Tight exhaust valves

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 09:46:20 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM, B Fye <bfye at canyonville.net> wrote:

> If you don't have a temp gauge. Here are some things you can do.
> The old fashion dip stick test:  after the engine is fully warm, can you
> touch/hold the stick where it sits in the oil?  If yes, at all, your oil
> temp is ok.

So I took the car out on a 20 minute cruise around town yesterday.  Once I
returned, I tried the "old fashioned dip stick test."  I could touch the
dip stick for a second or two, it was warm, but not hot enough to burn me.
The oil that remained on my finger was warm but not uncomfortably so.  I'm
interested to see if this remains the case after my normal 20 mile commute
at highway speed.

My brother has a simple heat gun, so I may borrow that for some fun and see
what I discover.  His is a cheap Black & Decker heat gun, but it may give
me some useful information if only to satisfy some curiosities.