[T3] Tight exhaust valves

B Fye bfye at canyonville.net
Fri Dec 27 08:28:02 PST 2013

If you don't have a temp gauge. Here are some things you can do.
The old fashion dip stick test:  after the engine is fully warm, can you touch/hold the stick where it sits in the oil?  If yes, at all, your oil temp is ok.
Use a mirror and make sure you have good fuel flow on each carb.  If you have restricted flow, it will run hot (lean).
Check for intake leaks- this will also cause a lean condition.
Make sure your timing is maxed out at 28-30 btdc @ 2200 rpm.  If your advance has failed and it is going beyond that (carburetors) you will run hot.
Also, after 15 years of use, your oil pump cover could be worn and reducing oil pressure.

The best thing you can do is go by a hand held temp gun and measure the temp of the heads, each exhaust runner and the oil.  If they are all ok, then you probably have either oil on the block or exhaust causing the smell.  A drop of oil every few minutes can cause an engine to smell hot.

Brian Fye