[T3] Tight exhaust valves

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 29 07:29:31 PST 2013

On 28 Dec 2013 at 10:00, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I agree with Jim that some variation is common, but the perfectionist in me
> knows that it holds a steady idle when all the hoses are connected and so
> I'm curious why it cannot do so with the hoses disconnected and plugged.

I guess I didn't read your question carefully enough; I didn't
realize that the unsteady idle complaint was just with the dist vac
hoses disconnected.

In that case, it's possible that the '72-only vac retard is part of
the idle stabilization for this engine, and with it disabled you get
a less stable idle.

That's just a WAG (Wild Ass Guess.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org