[T3] Tie rods

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Dec 19 20:42:08 PST 2013

Well finally got the last quarter panel done so have been back on the road.
This morning on the way to work the speedo went crazy then 0.  I figured it
was something wrong with the cable because Jim just went through the head.
Got to school and after looking at some stuff come to find out the square
hole in the driver’s side dust cap was starting to get round.  This is not
an issue as I have a spare front end off the parts car we scraped last year.
As we were going to swap them out I grabbed the caliber and felt a clunk.
Got to checking and all the tie rod ends had play in them.  This was a
little odd as they were all fine when we had the car apart but I guess the
grease was dry in there from setting up for 24 years and so I guess they
wore quickly.  The ones off the parts car has about 90K less miles on them
but have been setting up for 33 years and the boots are dry rotted.  Went to
my FLAPS and got the doorman/help brand of universal tie rod end boots in a
½” on the shaft diameter.  We packed new grease and installed the new boots
on them then in the car. The boots fit better than you think they would but
not as good as original.  It beats a rotted one.  Don’t how long this will
last.  If they go out soon then I guess I will have to break down and buy
some new tie rod ends.  I will be doing a new video or videos soon in
celebration of her returning back to the road hopefully a little more
entertaining than usual.  One of the things I plan to show is the issue I
have been having with my right mirror I got off the parts car as the
fastback didn’t have one to start with.  So I guess I will throw my hat in
that thread here lately.  Got to still do some little cosmetic things and a
TPS or TVS (I’m use to the modern car Arcanum).  Got to check with Jim or
someone who has one to see how that is going to set me back. Running
unplugged for now

Dennis Stiefel

72 Fastback FI MT

Rainsville, AL