[T3] Type 3 racing footage

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Feb 2 07:12:35 PST 2013

Came across some interesting old video from Germany's Nurburgring race
track.
It's a bunch of everyday cars - and a few sports models - taking on a tricky
corner that comes at the end of a long fast downhill.
Don't know if this is a 'folk race', or a rented track day, or just what
people were allowed to do on a Saturday back in the 70's?
Anyway, among the Fiats, Renaults, and many VW Type 1's, I count at least 2
of each T3 body style at various points through the video.
I count zero helmets, and a similar number of paramedics.

Be warned, some of the images are 'disturbing' - bad things happen to
sheetmetal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlF4sT0HWs

Enjoy.

--Timmy
'72 square
Venice, CA

Cool video!  The introduction made me think of a German version of ABCs wide
world of sports.  They just needed a bad ski crash for the agony of defeat.
Not only did they not have helmets or paramedics but no seat belts as well.
I know the feds made all auto manufactures put seat belts in cars by 1970
here in the US (65 for cars and 67 for trucks I think) but I don't know
about Germany and other euro countries. I thought our cars handle that curve
as well if not better than a lot of the other cars that crashed. Most of the
T-3 didn't flip.

Dennis Stiefel