[T3] Wire Question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Feb 2 11:01:09 PST 2013

In a message dated 2/1/2013 10:10:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dduvall at 1peter4-10.org writes:

Could the Black be like the AC wiring where Black is the hot wire  and
white is common?
Now the brown wire as a ground is interesting unless  its to distinguish
that it's a isolated ground just for a certain  device
like the casing of the Generator where it runs all the way to the
regulator mounting.

Daniel Du Vall

To quote Tram from the Samba, here's how it works.
Quick DIN lesson:

Terminal 15- always = key- switched  hot
Terminal 30- Battery hot, direct (not fused)
Terminal 31- direct  ground to chassis

Wire code overview:

Solid red= unfused batt  power (Term. 30)
Red with another color- Hot, fused, but not direct to  battery (e.g., from
a relay, fuse block, etc.)
Solid brown- Direct ground  to chassis (Term. 31)
Brown with second color- Indirect ground; e.g.'  grounded via a relay,
rheostat, resistor, etc.
Black with another color-  Hot with ignition key, indirect.

This is very general as it covers just  the barebones basic circuitry, but
is basically the same for all German  cars.

I should note here, that Tram restores Mercedes cars for a living, and IS
a factory trained VW mechanic. However, I found this info above to be on
target for our cars.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction