[T3] Wire Question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 1 19:37:35 PST 2013

On 2 Feb 2013 at 3:09, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Could the Black be like the AC wiring where Black is the hot wire and white is common?
> Now the brown wire as a ground is interesting unless its to distinguish that it's a isolated ground just for a certain device
> like the casing of the Generator where it runs all the way to the regulator mounting.

VW used brown for all the grounds, thruout the car. It may be a DIN
standard (for cars) but I'm not sure about that.

BTW, VW didn't have most of those ground wires prior to the '69 model
year. The only ones used in the early years were those that were
absolutely necessary, such as for the ground pin of each headlight
and maybe the gas gauge cluster ground. The generator and VR got
their grounds thru their mountings.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org