[T3] Single Circut Master Cyl and wheel cyl kits? Or parts to assemble?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 5 22:39:35 PST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013 at 4:36, elvisleft_bldg at comcast.net wrote:

> I think my Single circut master cylinder needs a possible rebuild and
> I need to assemble the parts there about to do this. I am also
> concerned about wheel cylinders and kits to rebuild those too.. I can
> find shoes and lines and such but nothing else. Mr Adney do you have
> specifications as to what would work and/or a rebuild kit avail? I do
> believe on my 651500S is should be a 19.05  with a 33 or 36 stroke?
> but since I got that information from ISP west I could be wrong. I am
> checking my parts book which gives me a kit number
>
> 311 698 181 B

Master cylinder parts vary enough that I won't try to sell the kits.
The parts lists are only useful if you know that you still have the
original MC, which is unlikely. You really need to send the MC here
for me to rebuild. The cost for me to rebuild a single circuit MC is
only $35 plus return shipping. The other parts I should be able to
put together once I know exactly what you have. This is a '65
squareback with front and rear drum brakes, right?

Rebuilding wheel cylinders is not difficult and I strongly recommend
doing them yourself, ON THE CAR. You will save yourself a lot of
grief if you don't try to remove them.

I have a writeup on how to do these if you're interested.

If you choose to take them to a mechanic, you'll have a hard time
finding one who is willing to rebuild; they'll all want to just
replace the whole unit. That's lots easier for them and they make a
lot more money at it.