[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 29, Issue 14

Dave Burden ermracing at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:09:59 PST 2013

>> I installed the retractable belts from a Mk2 Golf in our 1971
>> Squareback.  As I recall it was fairly simple, but I think the center
>> receivers ended up a little higher than expected.  I also mounted a
>> set for the rear seat, but that required welding in a nut on the C
>> pillar.
>
> As to the nut on the C pillar, all the '71 Type 3 Squarebacks I've
> seen had that nut already there (high inside the C pillar, for the
> shoulder belt) although it was not always obvious. Most of the time
> there is a plastic threaded plug in that hole, but sometimes, often
> on just one side, that plug just never got installed on the assembly
> line, but you can still feel the hole thru the vinyl.
>
> Was yours actually missing on both sides, or did you add one down
> low, for the lap belt?

Hmm, I recall welding a nut 'somewhere' for a 3 point belt.  Now that
I think about it,
(it was 15+ years ago) it was most likely the B pillar.  After some
more pondering and
scratching an increasingly graying beard I can now almost certainly
say I welded a nut on
the lower portion of the B pillar to mount the belt retractor.  I
recall that the retractor would end
up sideways using the original mounting location so I had to weld in a
new nut to have it face up.

Hope this is useful.

Dave
(Type 3-less, but I do have a '69 Opel GT 1.1 sitting under 2 feet of
snow which has separate lap
and shoulder belts, both of which are manually adjustable.)