[T3] Well now this presents a conundrum! NOS 6 VLT Fan BELT??

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 19 20:17:38 PST 2013

On 19 Feb 2013 at 19:23, Keith Park wrote:

> Really?
> When I used to work in the garage, 25 years ago, we replaced broken belts
> all the time.  The one on the Crate broke shortly after I started it up
> again 10 years ago, the 87 RX7 shreaded its OEM belts by 97, they don't last
> 3 years on my Golf!  Granted, our T3 belts are very lightly loaded when
> adjusted properly but Im not willing to get left somewhere by trusting old
> rubber, even if it was better in the old days than now.

Yes, really.

No matter what field you're in, you can always find someone who says
that he replaces <some> part more often than you do, and it's never
led to problems. There no logical way to defend against such an
argument, because the guy who replaces most often will always be able
to claim that this is the "right" thing to do.

Garages replace any part that they can get away with, not because
it's necessary, but because that's how they make their money.

As far as "getting left somewhere" goes, the one and only time I ever
had a belt break on one of my Type 3s, I was in Chicago on my way
home. It was daytime and sunny, so I didn't need headlights or
wipers. I was 150 miles from home.

I continued home without incident.

Note that our cars are somewhat unique in that we can do this. Other
cars, where the belt also drives the cooling system won't survive
this.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org