[T3] Stumble on Acceleration (update)

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:04:50 PST 2013

Hi All,
Here is an update to the issues I was experiencing last week. I drove the
rest of the week to work and didn't break down, it ran great on the highway
was didn't have type of Idle that I'd bring home to meet the parents. The
new schocks and tires made a significant difference in the ride, which I've
been adjusting to....by Thursday I concluded that the engine was running
too hot and likely the timing was not set right. Part of the problem is
that my 20 year old Sears Timing Light has a loose connection at the base
of the gun so that you have to hold the connection with one hand to
activate the strobe, and this makes things difficult when you're trying to
set the timing. There is a 20 year old kid next door who just bought a 74
Plymouth Scamp from the junkyard who wants to learn so I commandeered him
to hold the light steady aimed at my marking, and that did the trick, I was
able to dial in the timing to 0 degrees perfectly. Then I checked the dwell
which was showing a solid 46 degrees. The RPMs were a bit low for an
automatic at 900 so I raised it slightly to 950 and test drove it - it ran
like a champ. An important thing I learned here is that some tasks take 2
people, and also that I held back from replacing my fan belt or my points -
even though I wanted to - and let the troubleshooting take it's course
rather than throw new parts at a problem.  Perhaps I can shift gears now
for a bit from the motor and look at some of the other sounds that need
attention...

-Chris