[T3] Lead Sled Update

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 10:50:39 PST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> It appears that you've cut a small, square access hole in the lower
> portion of the axle beam.
> I assume there is (or will be) another access hole to accommodate the
> "companion" air-ride hardware on the other end of the beam?
> In the picture, are we looking at the right or left end?

Yes, there will need to be an access hole on both the left and the right side of the beam.  The photo is of the front of the right hand side of the beam.

> While you have the beam "open", can you put a micrometer on the
> thickness of the axle beam metal stamping?
>
> What is that nominal dimension?
> Or does the dimension vary, depending on where you mic the metal?
> If VW stamped the axle beam, I would suspect there would be some
> "stretching/thinning" of the metal, depending on how much "draw" the
> stamping required.

The thickness measures 2.0 mm just about everywhere that I can get a caliper on it.  There are a couple of areas that were 0.1-0.15mm thinner due to the stretching/thinning during the stamping process.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com