[T3] speedometer

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 3 21:14:23 PST 2013

On 3 Jan 2013 at 23:49, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:

> Hey group! My speedo with trip meter advances 1 mile every time I
> reset the tripmeter. Any suggestions as to what is wrong. What can I
> do to fix this?

Are you saying that the main odometer advances 1 mile every time you
reset the trip odo? If so, that's pretty odd, or maybe it's just
backlash in the gears, so that there's no real gain. The main odo may
just lag behind over the next mile until it's back in sync again.

If your odometers stop registering miles, or just register
intermittently, I can fix that, but it's not a DIY job. I made
several very special tools to allow me to do this job neatly.

It's VERY common for the late speedos, with the trip odos, to break
down eventually. I think I've had to fix every one on every car I've
owned, but I've never had to fix one twice. My fix should be more
reliable than a new one ever was.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org