[T3] Goin' to hell in a handcart!

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Jan 6 07:36:02 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:19 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Goin' to hell in a handcart!

On 31 Dec 2012 at 14:57, Jim Adney wrote:

> We've had a few weeks of electronics nightmare in our house. It's like
> everything decided to break at the same time.

Well, instead of getting better, it just got worse.

This noon, Melissa and I were out running errands in the 2011 Diesel Jetta
when, over the course of ~10 seconds, the engine lost power to the point
that it could no longer move the car; then it died.
Restarted easily but was still weak and died again. Restarted weakly again
and died right away. Waited 1.5 hours for a tow to the dealer, but when the
tow driver tried to start it, it started up and ran normally. It was
actually a bit warmer today, so I don't think the cold (25 F) was the
problem.

I'll put our scan tool on it tomorrow and take it to the dealer on monday.
Meanwhile, I'm leary of taking it anywhere....

Then, Melissa's desktop motherboard suffered the same fate as mine did ~3
weeks ago. Dell GX270, same make, model, and age as mine.
That's really well planned obsolescense, creepy.

This is written on one of our 2 laptops. Hope those hang in there long
enough for me to build replacement desktops.

And, BTW, ATT DSL service remains spotty. Hope I can get tonight's Type 3
email responded to before it conks out again.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Jim our school sectary had an 01 Jetta TDI that was struck by lightning a
few years ago.  It fried the ECU but it would still run but poorly and the
auto trans would only go in 2nd and reverse. The insurance paid to have it
fixed at the dealer but the asked her what time it happened so they could
check that along with her house location so they could check with the NWS to
see if they was a storm then in her area.

Dennid