[T3] Goin' to hell in a handcart!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 6 13:21:34 PST 2013

On 6 Jan 2013 at 13:25, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Are you fixing your computers yourself?
> On site or remote professional help?

Both PCs now refuse to boot. The problem, clear from the physical
evidence, is that a bunch of capacitors on the motherboard have burst
their rupture disks and puked their guts. I'm looking to find
something newer that I can transfer my files too (hard drives are
fine) and reinstall the OS and get going again.

> Are you familiar with Team Viewer?
> That a FREE (we like free, don't we?) program, whereby a VERY
> knowledgeable software/hardware computer savvy person can manipulate
> your computer from a remote location.
> They can "drill down" into the OS and everything that your machine(s) is doing.

I've used something called TightVNC, also free, to do that with my
mom's PC. That worked until she started asking other people to fix
things and they got it all messed up. It was a GREAT way to fix her
problems for a couple years, but I've washed my hands of that task
now.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org