[T3] E 15 fuel

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 9 20:33:13 PST 2013

On 10 Jan 2013 at 0:36, Dave Hall wrote:

> I guess if there is a tendency for phase separation (not sure that's the
> right expression - stratification might be better), an ethanol-rich mixture
> would tend to be used first, which would leave the lower octane gasoline to
> damage the engine - in fact, just what the lady said.  Aircraft using motor
> fuels tend to be hobby machines, used from time to time with days between
> uses, which would give more time for stratification to occur, though the
> same would be true of some cars too.

Yeah, stratification is a much better word here,  but if it was a
problem, wouldn't it be MUCH more of a problem in the underground
storage tanks, where it's likely to sit for much longer times? Maybe
they have stirrers in those tanks now, but I doubt it. A moving
vehicle should be much more likely to keep the fluids mixed than a
stationary tank.

> That's leaving aside the fact that growing a food plant to burn seems just
> plain stupid at a time of increasing world food shortages.  Maybe the aim is
> to reduce world population?

According to an article in Physics Today a few years ago, it would
take ALL the corn raised in the entire US to make enough ethanol to
convert all our (US) gasoline to 10% ethanol. This option is being
sold as a way out of our current dilemma/addiction, but it's not.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org