[T3] E 15 fuel

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:24:27 PST 2013

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Mesa, AZ

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 22:33:13 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] E 15 fuel
>
> On 10 Jan 2013 at 0:36, Dave Hall wrote:
>
> > I guess if there is a tendency for phase separation (not sure that's the
> > right expression - stratification might be better), an ethanol-rich mixture
> > would tend to be used first, which would leave the lower octane gasoline to
> > damage the engine - in fact, just what the lady said. Aircraft using motor
> > fuels tend to be hobby machines, used from time to time with days between
> > uses, which would give more time for stratification to occur, though the
> > same would be true of some cars too.
>
> Yeah, stratification is a much better word here, but if it was a
> problem, wouldn't it be MUCH more of a problem in the underground
> storage tanks, where it's likely to sit for much longer times? Maybe
> they have stirrers in those tanks now, but I doubt it. A moving
> vehicle should be much more likely to keep the fluids mixed than a
> stationary tank.

The two agents are mixed at the station, which is stated in the video. I know this as saw the oxygenator put in the local station in El Cajon California.

I can see how this could be a problem for fuel pumps. The pure ethanol corrodes and seizes the pump.

I found it interesting the video states it lowers the octane by three points! I have a 1992 Volvo 245 I am rebuilding to get ready for selling and he has been a good temporary solution. Anyway, when I got it, he ran awful on regular! I did the Seafoam treatment, and helped (to reduce compression ratio). Talked to a friend, and he said European autos run better on higher grade fuel. So put in 92 because of the half tank of 87. I ran WAY better, and went from about 19M.P.G. to 23M.P.G.! With the replacement F.I. relay I was regularly getting 26M.P.G. on 89 octane, which is way better than a lot of Volvos which struggle to get 21M.P.G. (they are called bricks for a reason ;) ). In short, if this octane reduction is true, then explains a lot, as went from 84 octane to 86 octane. I have noticed poorer performance to some degree in the Squareback and run at least mid grade. Now I am really going to rethink things.

Thank you,
Adriel