[T3] dash pad talk

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 10 12:38:53 PST 2013

On 10 Jan 2013 at 13:19, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> I have posted theDP  pics here:
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=38

That's a USED '71-3 dash pad. You can tell it's used from the
impression left by the mounting screws. If the speaker grill is a
separate part held on by 4 pins and speednuts, then it must be an OG
part. It's odd, however, that it doesn't have the holes for the VIN
plate. That would mean that it came on a car sold in some market (not
the US) where the VIN plates were not required. They were required on
all US cars from '69-on. I don't know about Canada.

It is illegal to reattach any VIN plate to any vehicle, even the
vehicle it came off of. If you do this, don't tell anyone, and make
it look as much like the original as possible. Fortunately, the OG
rivets that VW used look exactly like standard pop rivets.

I believe wraparound dashes came on very early cars. They blend into
matching sections on the door panels.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org