[T3] Dash Pad

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 12 20:47:50 PST 2013

On 12 Jan 2013 at 19:46, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Since I bought my '69 Square new, I have all of the
> 1)  original documentation,
> 2)  Owner's Manual (which has the VIN number written in on the first page),
> 3)  the plastic dealer imprint card with my name, address, phone
> number, (what I assume is) the dealer numbers [402/622]
> 4)  and a number that designates Type:  3611, followed by 09.9
> (whatever that means), followed by the Chassis Number: 3690253093.

> The "0" that appears between 9 and the 2 is not on the first page of
> the Owner's Manual or on the VIN Tag.  Hmmmm?

That extra zero is VERY interesting. IIRC, '65 thru '69, VW used a 9
digit VIN, but they added that zero in '70, making it a 10 digit
number. I never noticed that extra zero on the plastic cards, but I
probably haven't seen an early one since I sold my '68 in '78. It
sounds like someone was thinking ahead when they programmed the '69
cards. Your VIN is a very late '69. I wonder if the 09.9 meant Sept
1969? Any chance you bought it after the '70s had already come out?

This is the only time I've ever head of that zero being added to a VW
earlier than '70.

> One other thing ..
> I have my original Owner's Manual which has on the inside, back cover
> the numbers
> 158.258.23 and Printed in Germany 11.68.
> In printing "jargon" the 11.68 usually means the date when the "book"
> was printed.
>
> I also have, like new, original, Owner's Manual which the cover(s)
> looks IDENTICAL to my Original.
> Except, on the inside back cover the numbers are
> 158.244.23, Printed in Germany 8.68.
>
> I haven't compared ALL of the pages of the two books, word-for-word,
> but there seems to be a difference in some of the copy, pictures,
> position of paragraphs and images, etc.  Some is substantial, some is
> not

Did you pick up the other book later on? VW clearly did different
printings of their owners manuals, and it's not surprising that they
might have made changes or corrections. It would be interesting to
see what they changed, to see if they found errors, added extra
information, or cut corners.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org