[T3] Dash Pad

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 13 15:10:53 PST 2013

On 13 Jan 2013 at 16:31, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I think I understand the "3" means Type 3; and
> the "69" is the year ...
> but how do the numbers ... 0253093 ... indicate the car was "built
> late June/July?"
> Does 025 means the 25th week of 1969?

Write it this way: 3 6 9 253,093. That zero really isn't there on a
'69.

3 = Type 3

6 = squareback body (1 = fasty or notch, 4 = Ghia)

9 = '69

0 in this location is a sort of placeholder that was added starting
with the '70 models to indicate the second decade of production. In
beetles, this got changed to a 1 as production exceeded 1,000,000,
but that never happened for Type 3s.

253,093 is the sequential serial number within that model year.
That's just about all they made in '69, so we know that it was
probably made in July of '69, just before they closed down in August
to retool and start making the '70 models.

Note also that there are also "type" numbers on the front trunk VIN
plate. Those are 3 digit numbers that tend to resemble the first 3
digits of the VIN, BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT and they mean different
things. Those differences are a neverending source of confusion to me
and many of the rest of us. That type number may also appear on your
paperwork. Yours should be a 365: a 1600 LHD squareback w/o sunroof
(or a 361: same but slightly different....)

Confused yet? I know I am.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org