[T3] 1971 Fastback with fuel injection

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 14 20:23:17 PST 2013

On 13 Jan 2013 at 18:57, Art Sterrett wrote:

> Some time back Jim had provided me with trouble shooting tips for 1971
> type 3 fuel injected cars.  My fastback has been setting for awhile
> and I attempted to start it today, it turns over good but fails to
> start.  The battery is fully charged, the tank is 1/2 full, and when
> you turn the key on you hear the clicks and the pump sounds like it
> runs.

First, verify that you have spark. Don't assume that the problem is
in the FI. Make sure you have spark, and at the right time.

Turn the key on and go to the engine and depress the throttle slowly.
You should hear a half dozen or more injector clicks as the throttle
goes down. If you hear those, that verifies that most of the FI
electronics are working.

If that's okay, look at the little gas manifold between the 2 left
injectors. There will be an extra leg with a screw plugging it.
Loosen that screw and get a friend to watch while the pump is
running. Does gas squirt out of there? If not, your pump may have
failed, as they are all starting to do at this age. I can rebuild
yours if that is the problem. In the most common failure mode, the
pump motor runs but there is little or no flow and insignificant
pressure.

Finally, if all those tests come out good, you can suspect the FI
trigger contacts in the distributor. You can try pulling the
distributor and gently wiping the FI trigger points. Do not file
them; just clean them with a clean piece of paper. A bit of dirt in
there can keep everything from working. If you haven't already done
so, you could send me the distributor to be cleaned, rebuilt and
adjusted.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org