[T3] 72 FI

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jan 18 20:06:41 PST 2013

On 17 Jan 2013 at 22:04, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Wondering if anyone here can fill me in on how the late model TPS works on the say 72 FI system.
> Does it function in much the same way as modern TPS or is it way different?

I THOUGHT modern TPS units contained a variable resistor, so that
they could tell the brain exactly where they were at any moment. Our
TPSs only give actual position information at idle, and, for '72-3
only, wide open throttle (WOT.)

For '68-9 the TPS only tells when the throttle is closed.

For '70-1 our TPS indicates idle and has extra contacts that show
that the throttle is opening (but not how far open it is.)

For '72-3 our TPS adds the WOT contact.

Other than the idle and WOT contacts, none of them show actual
position.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org