[T3] Mystery fix

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 15:31:02 PST 2013

In a message dated 1/25/2013 5:47:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

Running rough yesterday. That was fixed just by adjusting points a  little
and giving all the wires and hoses a nudge and a  check.    Let it run for
about five minutes to warm it up...it  being about 20 degrees.   Took it for
a successful spin around the  block.

But, a half hour later, car wouldn't start.  That is...it  "ran" for just
seconds after starting, then died.  Yes, two clicks heard  for the fuel
system, no gas smells, etc.  If I primed several times, it  ran for a couple of
second longer.  Checked pump elec plug.  It was  ok.  But still same
symptom...start then instantly die.

For no  reason except to experiment, I un-coupled the Fuel System wires in
the engine  compartment, grounded one against manifold---which worked to run
the pump. (Is  that what it does?)
THEN I tried to start it...and it worked.  Went for a test drive around the
blocks. Fine.  Let it sit and tried  again. No problem.

Thing is....Why? Was it just a matter of a bad,  dirty connection? Even
though it's in its plastic sleeve, and snug with the  other wire
connection...was that it?  Or did grounding it like that coax  some component back to
life?  If so, which component? And, ;if so, is  this an omen that the component
is on the way out?   The fuel pump  maybe?

IF it's the fuel pump, should I plan ahead by putting a couple  of my
spares in a bucket of gasoline now to get one ready for Show Time?

It sounds like your fuel pump is getting tired (it could be the weather
too, as I don't work too well in the cold ;-) ). What's happening is that the
2 seconds of pump prime aren't enough time, which is why Jim sells a "pump
prime kit". The alternative, is to cycle the key until the pump stops, then
 repeat this a couple of times until the fuel rail is completely filled
again.  What you did by "grounding out that wire" (#19) and letting the pump
run, is  the same thing that Jim's kit does (run the pump a little longer to
prime the  fuel rail before starting).
I think it wouldn't hurt to "store a good pump" in diesel fuel (they  don't
like being stored dry anyway), until you actually need it, but warmer
weather maybe all you need.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction