[T3] Mystery fix

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 14:47:11 PST 2013

Sqbk 71 w/ 73 engine Standard Shift--

Running rough yesterday. That was fixed just by adjusting points a little and giving all the wires and hoses a nudge and a check.    Let it run for about five minutes to warm it up...it being about 20 degrees.   Took it for a successful spin around the block.

But, a half hour later, car wouldn't start.  That is...it "ran" for just seconds after starting, then died.  Yes, two clicks heard for the fuel system, no gas smells, etc.  If I primed several times, it ran for a couple of second longer.  Checked pump elec plug.  It was ok.  But still same symptom...start then instantly die.

For no reason except to experiment, I un-coupled the Fuel System wires in the engine compartment, grounded one against manifold---which worked to run the pump. (Is that what it does?)
THEN I tried to start it...and it worked. Went for a test drive around the blocks. Fine.  Let it sit and tried again. No problem.

Thing is....Why? Was it just a matter of a bad, dirty connection? Even though it's in its plastic sleeve, and snug with the other wire connection...was that it?  Or did grounding it like that coax some component back to life?  If so, which component? And, ;if so, is this an omen that the component is on the way out?   The fuel pump maybe?

IF it's the fuel pump, should I plan ahead by putting a couple of my spares in a bucket of gasoline now to get one ready for Show Time?