[T3] Re/ Mystery Fix...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 27 17:54:31 PST 2013

On 27 Jan 2013 at 20:03, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Seems odd that between you and me there are 6 ECU's that'll run a car
> if the relay is jumped to ground but not if wire #19 is plugged in.
>
> Does this wire plug into some "difficult" area of the circuit board in
> the ECU such that units that are otherwise fine can have this single
> failure? Or does it suggest that there are multiple failures in these
> units, just not ones that we can immediately notice?

The brain has a single transistor that acts as a switch to short #19
to ground. I've seen exactly one brain where that transistor was
broken: In that case, one transistor lead had corroded away because
of the damp local weather.

That transistor could also be blown if the 2 relay coil leads got
shorted together when the key was turned on, or if that lead got
connected to a 12 V source. That would allow unlimited current to try
to pass thru that one small transistor, burning it out instantly.
That's why those leads come with a plastic insulator around them,
which also makes it impossible to put them on the wrong terminals.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org