[T3] Mystery Fix (soaking fuel pump)

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 06:06:16 PST 2013

In a message dated 1/30/2013 5:53:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

Isn't the whole point of soaking a dry-stored Fuel Pump in diesel  (or
kerosene or heating oil) that this will swell up those O-ring seals so  that
they, you know, seal?
If soaking doesn't work, does this mean that my  half dozen or so salvaged
fuel pumps are (probably) useless?

It's really a crap shoot on whether a "dry" stored pump will come back to
life.

I had 2 here that did come back to life, but 1 lived for about 3 months,
and the other went 2 years. The most common thing I've found with trying to
use a dry stored pump, is that when they die, they don't make any fuel
pressure. Yes the pump will continue to run and make noise, but not make any
pressure, and no fuel pressure means the car won't run.

The first time this happened to me, I spent a couple of days checking
everything on the engine (it wouldn't start, but I could hear the pump  running,
so I didn't think about it), then I put a fuel pressure gauge on it,  and
found I didn't have any pressure. I replaced the pump, and it fired right
up. I also got lucky that it did this in the driveway, so it didn't have to
get towed home.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction