[T3] Gearshift knob

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:56:21 PST 2013

Jim wrote:
>There was never a locknut under the gearshift knob. I have one of
>those Walnut knobs, too. It didn't come with a locknut either.

>So that's an M12 x 1.5. I made one a few years ago to lock the
>T-handle shift grip that John J. made for prizes a few years back. I
>made mine from a 3/8 nut and just tapped it out to M12. I did that
>because I didn't want a full size M12 nut sitting there under John's
>nice grip.

I believe the Walnut Shift Knob (either the Wolfsburg or shift pattern
style) DID indeed come with a locking nut.
The lock nut would be the only way to ORIENT the metal plate image on
the top of the walnut knob so it would "read right", when tightened
down on the shift lever.  The Bakelite, black nob MAY not have a lock
nut, because when it "bottomed out" on the knob threads it made no
difference, as to orientation.
Is my thinking, correct?

>At this point I couldn't remember which thread it was.

Jim, did you mean you "couldn't remember which thread" PITCH ?

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)