[T3] Mystery Fix (soaking fuel pump)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 31 15:57:46 PST 2013

On 31 Jan 2013 at 9:06, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I had 2 here that did come back to life, but 1 lived for about 3 months,
> and the other went 2 years. The most common thing I've found with trying to
> use a dry stored pump, is that when they die, they don't make any fuel
> pressure. Yes the pump will continue to run and make noise, but not make any
> pressure, and no fuel pressure means the car won't run.

That's the most common failure mode of these pumps, as they all get
to be ~40 years old. There's a little rubber piece in there that
turns hard and finally crumbles.

The good news is that I can fix this with my cheaper Basic pump head
rebuild. I replace that little rubber part with a piece of Teflon
that I machine to size, then I replace the pump head O-rings and put
everything back together with a new brass cap over the relief valve
port. The end result is more durable than what the pumps were when
new. The cost of this is $75 plus return shipping. It's a bargain.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org