[T3] New up date

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 1 06:53:18 PST 2013

On 31 Dec 2012 at 18:32, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I checked the timing since we swapped out the points. The timing is a
> tad low.  The Bentley says to line the third line from the left on the
> timing marks with the center of the peep hole on the Gen belt cover. l
> l ll  But the highest I can get it is the second mark from the left.  I
> can't go any higher because the fitting on the advance for the vacuum
> hose hits the generator.  I guess I didn't get the distributor in there
> quite right during engine assembly.

Sounds like you're right about moving the dist drive shaft one tooth
CW. I have a large heavy duty snap ring pliers that I've always used
in the slot at the top, but there's also a special tool that expands
in that central hole to pull it out. Either will work. It's a
slightly helical gear, so you'll need to rotate it CCW slightly as it
comes up. You don't usually have to take the gear all the way out.
Just pull it up far enough that you can rotate it while feeling that
tooth and then wiggle it back down.

There are 12 teeth on that gear, so you will have to rotate it 30 deg
to make up 1 tooth. Take a good look at the position before you start
and then again once it's back down.

One more thing: DO NOT turn the engine over by any means until you
get the distributor reinstalled. If you MUST turn the crank with the
dist out, turn it BACKWARDS.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Bji-dJSoY

Nice video. The car's lookin' good and it helped to have your son
doing the shots. Now we know what YOU look like, too. ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org