[T3] Manual transmission gear shift knob

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 17:55:12 PST 2013

In a message dated 1/26/2013 8:05:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

I tried searching the Wolfe CD's for the thread size/pitch used on  our
gearshift lever.
It is either buried in the VW manuals or it's  (maybe) not there.

Does anybody know the correct metric size?

My  guess is that the shift knob is a M12 1.50 pitch.  Can someone  verify?

I've got the walnut knob with the gearshift pattern on my '69  Square.
I suspect when I purchased the car and the walnut knob, (one of  the
few accessories available) the dealer removed the stock  black
(Bakelite?) knob and kept it.

I did a quick search on the Samba type 3 forum for "shift knob thread
size", and Russ Wolfe stated it was M 12 x 1.50 or 1.75. He was going to  double
check it, but he never got to it. It is the coarser of the 2 threads,
which is probably the 1.50. Since you have a 69, then the correct color will  be
all black. I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction