[T3] Beauty Rings

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 19:42:02 PDT 2013

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - Located in Coastal San Diego County
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:31:50 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Beauty Rings
>
> On 2 Jul 2013 at 2:49, Dave Hall wrote:
>
> BTW, '69 was the end. Starting in '70, VW painted the outside faces
> of the rims silver to eliminate the need for the alum trim rings.
> Those wheels were painted black all over, then overcoated with silver
> on the outside face only, and only on the area that would show with
> the tire and hub cap in place.

What is weird is I have seen plenty of wheels with all silver paint
and no black underneath. My rims use to be this way until most of the
paint turned rust colored. The plan was to rattle can some high temp-
rature paint and use trim rings I bought. Then when I wanted to have
fun, take of the caps and rings and not worry about paint damage. Alas,
life got in the way. At least she is safe for now; even the suspension
isn't loaded.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel