[T3] Beauty Rings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 1 19:31:50 PDT 2013

On 2 Jul 2013 at 2:49, Dave Hall wrote:

> Our 1964 1500S Variant had the grey valve protections on the trims.  I think
> the other design may have had rolled over edges for that opening.

My '68 came from the factory without the grey rubber grommets; they
were just rolled over edges, which worked perfectly fine. It wasn't
until later that I saw the grey grommet style, and the ones I saw
were earlier cars, so I always assumed that the grey grommet style
was an earlier style.

I think Gary's grey grommet trim rings are the only ones I've ever
seen on that late a car. Gary is sure they are original to the car,
so I have to assume that they were occasionally supplied this way
from the factory right up to the end.

BTW, '69 was the end. Starting in '70, VW painted the outside faces
of the rims silver to eliminate the need for the alum trim rings.
Those wheels were painted black all over, then overcoated with silver
on the outside face only, and only on the area that would show with
the tire and hub cap in place.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org