[T3] Beauty Rings

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 19:46:57 PDT 2013

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - Located in Coastal San Diego County
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:31:50 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Beauty Rings
>
> The term "Monet" became used a few years ago as slang to describe
> someone who looked good from a distance, but who lost his appeal upon
> closer inspection. As you know, Monet was a "pointillist" (sp?) so
> that his work gave the right impression from a distance, but when
> viewed closely it became clear that the images were made of tiny
> colored dots. It's a facinating technique, but I suspect you'd agree
> that it's not made for viewing under a magnifing glass.

And Vincent van Gogh looks even good under a magnifying glass! ;P

>> So after the aluminium is anodized, the anodized surface can be polished?
>
> You have to polish it first, then anodize. The anodizing is clear and
> hard, so there's nothing you can do to it afterwards. Colored
> anodizing is done by adding dye to the anodizing solution so that dye
> particles get trapped in the alum oxide matrix.

That makes sense! I tried "fixing a bit of damage to a trim ring, but learned
if I was to fix it, have to have it anodized. California being what it is,
there wasn't any place for anodizing.

Thank you very much!
Adriel