[T3] Oil bath filter

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 14 13:18:53 PDT 2013

On 14 Jul 2013 at 14:16, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Thanks Jim that was my plan to feed clean air into the heads and out
> of the breather box. And since the only port on the air filter I have
> that is clean air is where the AAR used to connect to on this
> particular air cleaner I was going to (T) off the port to each head
> and then use the vacuum port that was for the AAR as the vacuum port
> for the PCV valve on the breather box.

That MIGHT work, but you would need to install some sort of aperture
in the AAR vacuum line, because you can't allow too much air to get
sucked in (or it will never settle down to an idle.) Although the
late IAD cover has a rather large tube going to it, there's a rather
small hole at the end, maybe 1 mm, but I'd have to take one apart to
be sure.

I've thought this over, and I think the approach I'd recommend would
be to keep the air cleaner and IAD that you have and change the
breather box and dipstick tube. This would give you the system that
was in use from '68-71. It's quite good, and quite simple, and
doesn't have the drawbacks that the later system could give you. In
other words, it's much more likely to "play nicely" with your MS
system.

I suspect, but I'm not sure, that the MS would appreciate having a
good working AAR in there, too. I think that's your only shot at any
kind of idle stabilization. If you just drive this in warm weather,
it's much less important, but there's still a big difference in the
engine's internal friction when the oil is at 70 F compared to 170 F.

> OK on a different subject I think I saw a diagram floating around that
> showed the different timing marks for different years was that you
> that posted that or someone else? I had one but have misplaced it and
> need it to set my base timing.

Your '72 timing marks should look like this    |   |   |  |

They are 5 BTDC, TDC, 5 ATDC, and 7.5 ATDC.

Since you're not using the stock distributor advance, you just want
to set it up to idle at TDC, start advancing at 1000 or 1200, and to
max out at about 30-32 BTDC by 2000 or 2500 rpm.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org