[T3] Brake Caliper etc.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 16:54:29 PDT 2013

I believe the piston-retaining plate helps keep the brake wear even, and
also prevents the piston itself rotating.

I understand from a more experineced motor engineer than me that with the
double bleed nipple calipers it is necessary to fit them with the retaining
plate on the bottom to keep the wear even.  The pads are fitted with the
retaining plate 'leading' - that is, the first part of the pad that a line
on the disc touches is next to where the retaining plate is fitted.  I'm not
sure whay that gives more even wear, but I might be able to find the
explanation.

Some replacement calipers have a flat shim (anti-squeal?) and do away with
the stepped piston.  If you've got stepped pistons, you need the retainer
plate.

As a first check, make sure your plates are on the bottom of the calipers.
While they do have two bleed nipples (strictly, one is a drain nipple), they
also have a side for fitting.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club