[T3] Brake Pedal Sticking...

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 30 15:17:57 PDT 2013

It's most likely in the pedal shaft.  The old Beetle had a grease point for
it, but I don't think the Type 3 does.

Try some spray grease first, which will penetrate and lubricate the shaft.
Check the return spring is there and working OK.

The push-rod isn't held in the master cylinder, so even if something funny
was happening with that, it wouldn't stop the pedal returning.

I suppose if the rubber boot was caught, or torn, it might be jamming the
push-rod somehow, but you should find that when looking at the pedal
cluster.  You will need to remove the plate that covers the area.

Maybe you've got something on the floor behind there that is jamming the
pedal.

It's just possible the compensation port(s) are blocked and not allowing
fluid to refill the master cylinder.  The pedal should still return under
spring action, so I'm sure  it's not the reason for the sticking pedal, but
it can certainly cause brakes to bind, as can old hoses.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club