[T3] Brakes

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Jun 3 17:11:08 PDT 2013

In a message dated 6/3/2013 7:46:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
asterrett2010 at att.net writes:

I have purchased 2 new rear brake cylinders and I am hoping at this  time
they will correct the problem.  When I attempt to bleed the brakes  the rear
shoes brake, but will not release.  If they are not the total  problem then
the Master Cylinder comes in question.  It was rebuilt by  Jim back when I
was restoring the car and the brakes have worked fine until  last week.  The
Master Cylinders are not available any more so I guess I  will have to pull
this one and send it back to Jim for a rebuild unless  someone has a new one
or a good working one to sale for a 1971  Fastback?

If you put a new or rebuilt master cylinder in your car is  their any
special things you should do, such as bleeding the master  cylinder?  What is the
procedure for bleeding a master cylinder?   Will wait to hear from you guys
before attempting to purchase a new master  cylinder from someone.

I'd look into replacing the rear hoses before I pulled the master  cylinder
for rebuilding. Rear hoses don't god bad as often as fronts do, but  the
hoses do have a tendency to collapse internally. When this happens, the
brakes don't release. Like I said, more common with the fronts.
Rear wheel cylinders are common, and available at most places.

I've had Jim rebuild several master cylinders over the years (along  with
calipers), and about the only thing "special" I do, is make sure the
reservoir is full before I start bleeding the system. The other thing I do, is
make sure I have 1mm of clearance between the push rod and the master cylinder
cup. Without that gap, you cover the compensating ports, which doesn't
allow  the brakes to release, or re-fill the chambers in the master cylinder.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction