[T3] Hood Spring

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 05:09:38 PDT 2013

I think I've worked out what's being done here.

Is the spring hook round the pipe, with the open end on the 'tooth' of the
fixed 'rack'?

I've done the job a number of times now, in various ways.  Once I just used
a piece of rope round a short piece of broomstick to grip it well, and
pulled hard until the hook was in position.  It's helpful to have someone to
help the hook into position.   Another time I used a pulley system hooked to
the seat-belt mount on my Type 2, which put it at the right sort of height
to pull it easily into position on the 'rack'.  That was the easiest way,
and my preferred method now muscles complain too easily!  It just needs a
firm anchorage the right sort of height above ground (gatepost or
something).

What some people get wrong is to put the spring through the hole on the
hinge assembly, rather than hooked on the back, which leaves the 'hood'
(bonnet!) sagging rather than opening completely.

I'll have to try the piece of pipe method next time.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club