[T3] Fuel Weep Hole into Cabin

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:11:17 PDT 2013

Hey All,
Interesting adventure on the way to work the other day. I have often
smelled fuel when driving in my fastback, and recently replaced the full
filler rubber collar and overflow pipe, which seems to have greatly reduced
the odor. Once I get a door seal on the passenger door I expect that last
gap will be sealed. However when driving along I smelt fuel pretty heavily,
and glanced over to the passenger cab floor firewall and saw a small steam
of fuel weeping down the metal frame. I reached down and had a taste and
confirmed and decided to get off the highway. I opened the hood and found
that the big fat filler hose was damp underneath, and that it apparently
had been dripping when the car is in operation I bet there is greater
pressure there, but it had eaten a rust hole underneath which apparently
leads into the cabin. I ordered a new hose on ebay which should arrive
tomorrow and plan on caulking the hole as best i can once the old hose if
off. Just an fyi to everyone to fondle their fuel filler hose next time the
hood is popped to make sure the underside isn't damp.
-Chris
70 Fastback AT