[T3] Car Body Questions....

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 05:40:09 PDT 2013

The wheel can rub on full lock - usually when going backwards.  The Type 3
never had separate steering lock stops unlike the Beetle - it used the front
axle components.

The steering knuckle wears a groove against the lower torsion arm.  VW made
a plate that is bolted round the torsion arm to give more clearance to the
tyre.  It's parts 8-12 on the front axle parts diagram at
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3/T3pbo/T3pb4-6.htm .

If it only happens under those special circumstances at low speed parking
manoeuvres, it isn't really a problem, but I had to fabricate a bracket to
satisfy some picky MoT testers in the UK.  The pattern I used is like a
plane wing (think of a DC3) folded round the torsion arm with a tab sticking
out the front to bend over to locate it, and two holes for a pinch-bolt.

Keep the rust in check as much as you can!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club