[T3] Car Cures Itself Twice...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 9 13:56:26 PDT 2013

On 8 Jun 2013 at 15:01, J. Jonik wrote:

> Only oddity is that the gauge needle seems to bounce around on road
> bumps more than I remember.  I forget if it did that before.

The sender float itself is well damped, but road shock may shake the
needle directly. If the sender wires are dirty, they will cause the
needle to jump around. This usually happens in one particular
position, presumably where the float spent a long time sitting, while
corrosion formed on the sensor wire.

> when car's warmed up...suddenly, usually with a little rev in 4th gear,
> all that is cleared up and the car runs like it's supposed to.   And it
> stays fine...until starting up again after car sits for a long time.
> Then the same thing.   It cures itself when warmed up....a few
> minutes..a few miles.

Check to see if the dist mech advance is sticking. (Twist the rotor
CW and see if it moves smoothly and springs back smartly when you let
it go.

Sometimes you'll get one cylinder to flood, and it will miss until
it's cleared out. The way to clear it out is to drive it up to about
30 mph then take your foot off the gas for ~3 seconds. If the TVS is
properly adjusted, this should turn the FI off completely. With the
wheels now driving the engine, all 4 cylinders will get flushed out
with fresh air and should all run fine when you get back on the
throttle.

If this is the problem, don't sit still with the engine running, just
drive and coast as above. You don't want the raw gas washing down the
cylinder walls any longer than necessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org