[T3] crank case ventilation ???

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 23 20:27:46 PDT 2013

On 23 Jun 2013 at 17:15, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Does anyone have a good diagram of the hose routing for a 72 SB FI
> system? Or even just pointers as to what is what and where? Just trying
> to figure out that ports and need to cap and where the hoses from the
> heads and PCV go to etc. Have no idea since I had nothing to start
> with.

Glad Dave was able to send you a PDF. The '72 is certainly the worst
year for this. One thing you can simplify for that year is to omit
the solenoid valve that enables the vac advance in 4th gear only. The
car will run and tune up just fine with the vac adv hose connected
directly to the IAD. Note that you will have to have a '72-only IAD
to connect the vac retard. That part is essential, unless you want to
"upgrade" to the '73 configuration, which does not have the vac
retard. (FI engines came with vac retard only in '72.)

> Oh and not to bug Jim but have you had a chance to look into the air
> filter to body parts I need to make the connection? I sent you the
> measurements a while back you requested if you need them again or did
> not get them let me know.

Sorry, I knew there was something I kept forgetting. I'll try to
remember to look for the parts tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have them;
I just have to measure them and make sure they're right for your car.
Yes, I'm sure I still have your old message with the lengths.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org