[T3] Front brake caliper

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 24 06:38:23 PDT 2013

On 24 Jun 2013 at 5:14, ken2k wrote:

> it seems the piston on my right front caliper stuck and doesnt retract
> properly, the outside pad is worn down and the wheel feels warm after
> a little stop and go. is there a fix for this that an "idiot" can do
> or should i just check the samba for a replacement? thx kk

This is the typical failure mode for our calipers. The thing to do is
to send BOTH calipers to me to be rebuilt, then switch to DoT-5
Silicone Brake Fluid. This should keep them, and the master cylinder
in good shape for the next few decades.

You can send your MC at the same time if you want to be sure you're
starting off in good shape everywhere. I can also rebuild the rear
cylinders, but I recommend that you do them ON the car. This saves a
lot of time and trouble.

Rebuild prices are $50 for each caliper and $45 for the MC, not
counting pads and replacement of missing hardware.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org