[T3] Fuel Filler Hose leaks

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 11:48:14 PDT 2013

hi,
I developed a sudden and rather large fuel leak in my fuel filler hose
where the hose connects from the fuel filler tube to the gas tank, under
the hood. I ordered a replacement hose and rubber seals to do the job. The
replacement was straightforward, however it didn't stop the leak. New Hose
and new hoseclamps had no effect. reverted to the 42 year old hose and
hoseclamps with only the new seals, still leaks. My solution is to not fill
up the tank more than halfway until I can resolve the leak. My suspicion is
that the purchase of a $5 aftermarket gas cap over 10 years ago, which is a
bit more difficult to screw on, resulted in tearing of the rubber fuel
collar, overflow hose, and ultimately twisting of the metal fuel neck. The
previous owner had left out one of the rubber seals which caused no leaks
for 10 years or more but then suddenly it cannot be stopped.

Is there an order of assembly that insures no leaks? I noticed that the
Metal Fuel filler must be removed to adequately seat the rubber hose and
gaskets without kinking them, but then when you tighten the metal filler
back to the frame it obviously must distort the sealing surface of the
rubber hose connection. If the Metal filler line is installed first, the
hose cannot be installed without disturbing the rubber sealing surfaces
that are supposed to prevent leaks.

Is there a source for the original type of hose clamps or are we stuck with
the regular common ones?
Thanks,
Chris  (70 AT Fastback)