[T3] Car Cures Itself...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 27 07:32:57 PDT 2013

On 27 Jun 2013 at 6:19, Tony Rongey wrote:

> Jim,
> I thought you were the one who explained this to me, but it might have been Russ or Tram.  The theory that I've heard is that the engine heat causes the fuel in the exposed fuel hose to evaporate.  Since our cars are full of old worn parts neither the pressure regular or the check valve in the pump are up to the task of holding pressure for very long.  Once everything cools down you're left with a fuel system full of low-pressure vapors so the whole ring has to be loaded up before it will start.
> Sounds to me like he needs your fuel pump rebuild (if you're still doing that), because his check valve has failed.

That's my theory, but I don't have a COMPLETE theory. The incomplete
part comes where I can't explain where air gets in to replace the
fuel vapor.

As the vapor boils, it would push forward thru the pressure regulator
and into the gas tank, where it would recondense.

Once the vapor starts to cool that would cause a vacuum to form in
the fuel ring. If there was any kind of leak in the pressure
regulator or the fuel pump check valve, liquid gas would be sucked
back in to replace the vapor, but we know this doesn't happen. So I
think this means that a fuel pump rebuild is probably not his
solution.

I believe it was Dave who suggested that the air might be sucked in
thru the pintle valves of the injectors, because they are lightly
loaded and would open with only a slight negative pressure. That's
the best theory I've heard so far.

The big question for me is why didn't this problem happen when our
cars were new, because I've gone thru cars and replaced all the
injectors and all the hoses, and still had the problem. One
possibility is that when new, all the engine compartment fuel hoses
in the FI cars came with a grey vinyl sleeve cover. I had always
assumed that this sleeving was just for looks or to provide some sort
of protection against abrasion, but this sleeve would have provided
some degree of heat shielding that might have been just enough to
protect the gas from the heat soak after shutdown.

I bought a roll of this sleeving from VW years ago, but the sleeving
I got was black instead of grey, so I've never tested it. I have a
few bits of original sleeving, but not a complete set, so once again
I've never tried installing it.

A compounding problem is the fact that most of the replacement hose
that everyone used over the years had a larger OD than the original,
so the original sleeving would not fit over it. Thus almost all of
the original sleeving has been lost.

One hint of a real solution comes from Mercedes. Mercedes made a few
big D-jetronic V8s in the early '70s. They had the same problem (and
probably a lot more engine heat) but they came up with an interesting
fix: They drilled a 1 mm hole in a place in the pressure regulator,
creating a small, permanent thru leak in the regulator. This would
mean that the fuel systems would not hold any pressure after
shutdown, but it would allow liquid gas to be easily sucked back to
replace the vapor as the engine compartment cooled.

This drilled hole should not cause any problems with pressure
regulation since the pump produces much more fuel than the engine
needs, but it certainly requires that the pump and filter be in good
condition. If the filter is clogged, a modified pressure regulator
would cause problems to occur sooner.

I've toyed with trying to make a drill guide to do this with a small
drill bit on one of our pressure regulators, but it's just one more
thing I've never gotten around to. I'm actually going into the
machine shop that I have access to today; maybe this is a good day to
make one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org