[T3] Car Cures Itself...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jun 28 07:30:22 PDT 2013

In a message dated 6/28/2013 8:18:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

One of our UK club members investigated this carefully on his Type  3, and
found that there can be 'micro-leaks' in the piping that don't leak  fuel
but
do allow air into the pipes over a time.  He replaced hoses  and the
pressure
fall-off was greatly reduced.  I assume his fuel-pump  non-return system was
still functioning OK.

I've seen figures  for the ring main pressure fall-off in a VW manual and
seem to recall a  figure of around 10psi even after a number of hours.

On my old 71 Notch, I replaced the "in the tunnel" fuel lines, and found
that after pressurizing the system, it would hold 29 psi for hours (sometimes
 all day) before dropping off. My wife's 70 Fastback however, would start
dropping pressure after a 1/2 hour, then steadily fall off during the day.
Note, both cars were using an aftermarket E2000 fuel pump (for an 85 ford
ranger) that Russ had recommended.
This may be a case of as the lines age, the "micro-leaks" expand, causing
the fall off. I haven't tried it on any other FI type 3s, but I've found
that  my Geo is happier with it's new fuel lines (they were replaced due to
rust).  ;-)

Yes, I've read that too. I think it's in either the "K" manual, or  the
Elfrink fuel injection manual (maybe both, since they're so similar).  As I
recall, both listed a 10 to 15 psi fall off in the first 1/2 hour,  then a
slower drop off rate thereafter (part of the hydraulic test in Elfrink  calls
out the drop to 15 psi).

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction